Thursday 9 September 2010

Chocolate, marshmallow and Dandelion & Burdock Muffins

I get drawn to charity shops that sell good quality books at incredibly cheap prices. I love em! I've recently found one that sells paperbacks for 25p. I'm in danger of overloading my shelves; all for under a fiver. So, I found a great baking book for 50p; 'Homemade Baking' by Catherine Atkinson. Ring bound for easy use while baking cakes. Lovely.


In the book was a very interesting sounding recipe for Marshmallow, choc and cola muffins. I had planned to bake a cake for a friend's birthday but these muffins seemed perfect. Slightly quirky and I so wanted to know what they tasted like. I'm not a great fan of cola, so I used Dandelion and Burdock (the best pop!).

We ate the cakes in work today and they were quite different from any other muffins I've made. I fully expected the marshmallow to form a gooey centre, but they mixed up with the rest of the muffin and formed a chewy texture. They were much more cakey than muffiny and had a dense, solid weight to them. They didn't look the prettiest ever, but they tasted rather delicious. I think next time I will add chocolate drops into the mixture, and maybe a sprinkle of nutmeg. 


Chocolate, Marshmallow and Dandelion and Burdock Muffins

150ml Dandelion and Burdock
6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 beaten egg
250g self rasing flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I used Green & Blacks)
125g of caster sugar
75g of marshmallows (mini or large, chopped up)
Pinch of salt

  • Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5 / 190c/ 375f. Get 12 paper muffin cases ready.
  • Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl or large jug mix the egg and vegetable oil.
  • Add the pop. Careful - it will froth up!
  • Mix and then pour into the dry ingredients
  • Mix until just combined
  • Place a spoonful of batter into each paper muffin case. Drop in a few mini or chopped marshmallows onto the mixture. Top each with the remainder of the muffin mix.
  • Bake in the oven for about 20 mins or until risen and firm. Cool in the tin and then eat!

Marshmallows in the centre
Finished muffins (a bit misshapen)

No comments:

Post a Comment