Tuesday 28 September 2010

Chilli Chocolate Truffles.

Some days are made for chocolate, especially dark chocolate, and today has been one of those days. Mind you, I'm not a huge chocolate fan but when I need it, I need it now!

I do particularly love that most fantastic combination of chilli and chocolate though. Montezuma's have the best one I've tried so far, with just the right kick in the back of the throat. So, in order to satisfy the chocolate craving I thought I'd opt out of trawling through the after work throngs of people at the supermarket, and make my own! Well, make some chocolate truffles. Chilli Chocolate truffles. From my new, recently purchased and already covered in food splashes, Hot! Hot! Hot! book.

Chilli Chocolate Truffles

Ingredients:
100ml creme fraiche
200g dark chocolate (chopped up or in button format)
1 fresh red chilli (the recipe in the book calls for half but I don't think that's enough!)
dark cocoa powder
sprinkles
Stirring in first the chocolate, and then the chopped chilli
Directions:

  • Melt the creme fraiche gently. Add the chocolate
  • Heat until the chocolate is melted and it's well mixed in.
  • De-seed and finely chop the chilli
  • Take the chocolate off the heat and mix in the chopped chilli
  • Let the mixture cool to room temperature
  • Pop it into the fridge for a couple of hours so that the mixture thickens up.
  • Take it out of the fridge and form the mixture into little balls and then roll them in the sprinkles or cocoa powder. Be warned! This bit is really messy, but great fun! You WILL get the truffle mix all over your hands. It's brilliant.
  • I then popped the truffles into little cases and the remaining ones (not many) are keeping cool in the fridge

It's probably best to keep the truffles in a cool place as they aren't terribly solid and have a tendency to start to melt slightly if handled. However, thay taste so creamy and chocolaty that they probably won't have too much time to melt in your hands!
Awwwwwwww, a little pink sparkly one

Popping them in their cases stop them from sticking together

1 comment:

  1. Harumph. I thought I'd commented.

    What I said was... I got a sparkly pink one - lush! Thanks Sam!

    Nia xx

    ReplyDelete