Wednesday 29 September 2010

I love a good Farmer's Market!

As the weather was truly rotten today, something cheery and food based was needed to brighten the day. So the quick trip to Conwy Farmers Market at lunchtime was perfect (thanks for the suggestion Ann B!).

The market is based at the RSPB reserve in Conwy and the view of the estuary is just stunning. Held inside a marque, the market is sheltered and so able to withstand the slightly rough North Wales weather. However, I think the rain may have put some people off as it wasn't incredibly busy; but there was plenty to choose from. Fresh vegetables were on offer, including chard, which I've never seen before never mind tried and some beautiful blue and white pottery. Then there were the jams, chutneys and relishes. So much to choose from; so many tasty samples.

After much humming and haaing (not a word, I know, but certainly the right sound!), I decided to purchase a jar of Butternut and Crystallised Ginger Chutney. Oh wow. Very tasty. Just a bit different with the right amount of ginger, mixed with the sweetness of the butternut squash, resulting in a gentle golden colour and a tangy, sharp aroma. Apparently it goes well with cold meat, cheeses and Indian Food. However, it also seems to go rather well on rice cakes (and actually makes the rice cakes taste good!)  


Ann B and I got also got chatting to Ann Busby (a different Ann B) at her 'Simply Relish' stand and after sampling a few choice chutneys and buying her award winning chilli jam, she kindly let me take her photo. (Lovely to meet you Ann!)
Meet Ann from Simply Relish!

She also told me that Hawarden food shop are hosting an Autumn food fair this Saturday. Hooray - a promising foodie weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam and thank you for featruing me on your blog! I feel very honoured! (I just wish I'd straightened all those mini pots first though!)
    Look forward to meeting you at future foodie events.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete